Important Safety Reminders for Halloween
Written by Brayden McCoy on October 27, 2022
As we inch closer to Halloween, it’s time to give you some reminders so that you enjoy the holiday to its fullest.
The Nebraska Regional Poison Center has released a video titled “Do you know what Poison is” that highlights critical information regarding costumes, candy, decorations, and props.
Here’s the list:
- Glow sticks can cause a stinging and burning feeling if the liquid touches the mouth, skin, or eyes. Tell children to keep these out of their mouths as they are soft and can easily break open. If this happens, rinse with water and call for medical help.
- When children trick-or-treat, treats should be carefully checked by adults. Homemade treats or anything out of its original wrapper should be thrown away unless parents are positive about the identity and safety of the person from which it came.
- Cannabis edibles may resemble candy in their name, colors, and packaging. This is another good reason to check all your children’s candy when they get home.
- Costumes should be warm, well-fitting, and non-flammable. Masks should allow a child to see easily all around them and should be removed while children are crossing the streets. Have a trusted adult with children and remember to take a flashlight along if it’s dark.
- Consider nontoxic face paint instead of masks. All makeup and fluorescent hair sprays should be removed before going to bed. Consider using reflective tape on costumes worn after dark.
- Serving punch containing dry ice is not dangerous if the ice is not swallowed in its solid form. Small pieces should not be in drinking glasses. Frostbite can occur if dry ice touches the skin or mouth.
- Chocolate and xylitol are very poisonous to dogs. Xylitol is the sweetener found in sugar-free candies and gum. Store all candy up and out of reach of dogs and other pets.
The poison control phone number is: (800) 222-1222. For medical emergencies, please dial 911.