Special Olympics Wyoming Announces 2023 Jackalope Jumps
Written by Andrew-Rossi on January 17, 2023
Special Olympics Wyoming is looking for inspired residents of 12 communities to “Be Bold, Go for the Cold!” at their local 2023 Jackalope Jump.
Special Olympics Wyoming is hosting Jackalope Jumps across Wyoming in February, March, and April. “Individuals, athletes, businesses, schools, law enforcement, fire, military, and other clubs and organizations” that would like to participate in one of the organization’s largest annual fundraisers.
Special Olympics Wyoming is a non-profit organization providing year-round sports training, athletic competition, and other related programs to children and adults with intellectual disabilities; offering them continuing opportunities to realize their potential, develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, and experience joy and friendship. Special Olympics Wyoming changes lives by encouraging and empowering people with intellectual disabilities, promoting acceptance for all, and fostering communities of understanding and respect.
S0, what exactly is a Jackalope Jump? The fundraiser’s central premise involves people jumping into a pool of freezing water in whatever attire they desire. Awards are given out for the best costume, largest group, and most funds raised.
Each Jackalope Jump is its own personalized event as they are planned and organized locally by SOWY volunteers.
All funds raised go to support Special Olympics Wyoming programming and events for over 1,600 athletes statewide.
The following Jackalope Jumps are scheduled across Wyoming over the next three months:
- Rock Springs – Saturday, Feb. 4 – Wataha Pond
- Thermopolis – Thursday, Feb. 9 – Hot Springs County High School
- Douglas – Friday, February 10 – Douglas High School
- Casper – Friday, March 3 – Casper Family Aquatic Center
- Platte County/Wheatland – Saturday, March 11, 2023 – Little Reservoir #1
- Riverton – Saturday, March 18 – City Hall
- Powell – Friday, March 24 – Powell High School
- Sheridan – Saturday, March 25 – Goose Valley Fire Department
- Lander – Saturday, March 25 – Palace Pharmacy Parking Lot
- Cheyenne – Saturday, March 25 – Lions Park
- Cody – Thursday, March 30 – City Park
- Gillette – Saturday, April 1 – Campbell County Rec Center Parking Lot
Online registration is FREE and strongly encouraged. Eager participants can register for any of the 12 Jackalope Jumps on the Special Olympics Wyoming website.