“Wild Bunch” to Entertain Downtown
Written by andrew-rossi on June 16, 2017
Summer visitors to Cody will once again be able to witness a wild west shootout downtown.
After a shooting incident last summer injured three spectators and left the Cody Gunfighters without affordable insurance, the man who started the summer melodrama back in 1979 stepped up to organize the “Wild Bunch”. Ken Martin, working with Cody Trolley owner Greg Pendley, has put together a new nightly show, with a new script, new equipment, and a clean slate.
Martin says there will be six actors and an inspector involved in the show that will take place in front of the Irma. He says that safety will be the highest priority – which is why there will always be an inspector on hand to pass out the guns, as well as monitor the performance to keep spectators at a safe distance.
Martin says he started the Wild Bunch in 1979 while operating Wyoming River Trips out of Buffalo Bill Village. He only ran the show for a few years before letting others take over while he attended to his other businesses – and the Gunfighters continued until last year’s incident, in which one of the performers failed to clear his weapon of live rounds prior to a show in July. That individual is currently in the court system facing charges for that as well as other violations.
Martin says that there are a few sponsors already signed up to support the new show’s expenses, although they are hoping more will step up to support the event, which he says enhances downtown business.
The gunfight will take place nightly beginning Monday, June 19th, at 6 p.m.