Calling All Wyoming Artists: Snowy Mountain Brewery Launches Canvas on a Can Contest
Written by Caleb Nelson on August 16, 2022
Snowy Mountain Brewery is holding a new contest for artists “in an effort to enhance community spirit,” a recent press release states. Artists will have the opportunity to show off their skills by competing in what Snowy Mountain Brewery is calling the “Canvas on a Can” contest. The contest kicks off on August 15th, 2022. Located in Saratoga, WY, the brewery is looking for new label designs for four varieties of beer currently distributed throughout Wyoming.
“Beer labels can showcase some of the most creative artwork. Some folks have been known to even choose the beer they purchase from the shelf based on the design of the beer label”, Annie Wood, Brewery Operations Manager for Snowy Mountain Brewery, says.
“Likewise, Wyoming has some of the most interesting and creative artists around. So, when thinking of redesigning the craft beer labels, Snowy Mountain Brewery decided to turn to the professionals for inspiration, with the hopes of finding a design that fits our beers and the opportunity to showcase some of Wyoming’s incredible talent,” Wood adds.
The art contest is open to any artist living in Wyoming. Prizes include a $1,000 cash prize, Snowy Mountain Brewery canned beer for a year, and the opportunity to have the winning artwork on Snowy Mountain Brewery cans and merchandise, which will be promoted across Wyoming and online here. Further, the artwork will be shared on the Saratoga Hot Springs Resort social media pages.
There will be a complimentary reception at the Saratoga Hot Springs Resort for all artists who submit a design. The reception will feature Snowy Mountain craft beers and an “inspired menu” as well as a gallery exhibition of the entries.
“We love the brew that we craft at Snowy Mountain Brewery, and we are excited to see some designs that can tell a visual story about our beers and our brewery itself. We are looking for designs to grab your full attention,” Cheena Parsons, General Manager of the Saratoga Hot Springs Resort says.
- Each artist may submit up to five (5) illustrations.
- Artists may choose to design an illustration for the four different styles of beer SMB currently cans.
- Artists may choose to create a universal design to be used on all varieties with a simple identifier to differentiate the different styles.
- Entries will be judged on creativity, originality, and focus on the theme of Snowy Mountain Brewery and/or each style of canned beer:
- Aspen Alley Amber
- Treasure Island IPA
- Altitude Apricot Wheat
- White Buffalo Stout (White Stout)
- One overall winner will be chosen
WHAT DO ARTISTS WIN?
- One winner will be selected and announced at the Artist Reception and Exhibition – October 2022 TBD
- CASH PRIZE $1000
- Winning illustration(s) will be featured on can labels of Snowy Mountain Brewery Beer and distributed across the state of Wyoming
- Artist name, signature, and website (if applicable) can also be included on the packaging (if space permits).
- Artwork will also be featured in online campaigns, brewery merchandise and in print at Snowy Mountain Brewery and Saratoga Hot Springs Resort.
- Artist will also have the opportunity to work with the marketing director to create a bio to be featured on the company website with links to personal website (if applicable) or contact information.
- Artist bio may also be used in-store POS to merchandise with the beer displays, or on coolers to promote.
- Artist and guest will be VIP guests to the holiday launch party for the first canning with the new labels and be given the opportunity to meet consumers and personally autograph the cans at the event.
- Additional networking events may be planned to promote the artwork, artist and beer.
- August 15, 2022 – Contest begins.
- October 1, 2022 – Illustrations (eps. Jpg. png. ai.) due to email@example.com no later than 5:00 p.m.
- October 1, 2022 – Any mailed illustrations due (address below)
- October 15, 2022 – Final judging
- November 2022 – VIP Artist Party for all entries
- December 2022 – Rollout of new can design(s).
“We hope this contest will instill a sense of community and Wyoming pride and also hope artists have a little fun along the way, ” Kaylin Ledgerwood, Marketing Director for Saratoga Hot Springs Resort, says. “We can’t wait to see the creativity this inspires for the artwork on our cans. It is our hope that we will be able to replicate the process and feature different artists annually.”
WHO CAN ENTER?
Any artist currently residing in Wyoming.
A FEW SIMPLE RULES
- “Wrap your ‘nogin around the brewery name,” Snowy Mountain Brewery and all it pertains (mountains, Wyoming sky, wide open spaces, etc)
- Up to five (5) entries per artist, please.
- Submit digital high-resolution file (eps. Jpg. png. ai.) no later than October 1, 2022. To submit digitally, send an e-mail with the subject “art contest” to firstname.lastname@example.org with the artist’s name, address, e-mail, phone number and the title of work and attach the file or download link.
- Original material may be submitted by postal mail no later than October 1, 2022. Please use the address: 601 East Pic Pike Road, Attn: Marketing Director, Saratoga Hotsprings Resort, Saratoga, WY 82331.
- Please include a name, address, e-mail, phone number and the title of the work. To have work returned, folks MUST include return postage and an appropriate envelope. Snowy Mountain Brewery is not responsible for any damage from shipping. Submitting high-quality copies or photographs is acceptable, but entries will be judged by the quality of that copy or photograph.
- The original work can be any size, but must look good when reduced to the typical size of a beer label. Most labels are roughly within 4in x 8in (leaving a small area for required legal language).
- All material submitted to the contest MUST be your original work. No derivatives or imitations.
- Snowy Mountain Brewery, has permission to showcase all submitted label art in the gallery exhibition in November 2022. Artists will of course be credited for their work and recognized.