Civic-minded citizens are encouraged to participate in an eight-week program showing how each department of the City of Cody operates, taught by City employees.
The City of Cody is seeking interested citizens to participate in its 4th Citizen Academy. The Citizen Academy has four main goals:
- Allow participants to experience the inner workings of City departments.
- Provide the opportunity for citizens to better understand City management, operations, and procedures by meeting City employees and strengthening community involvement.
- Allow City departments and personnel to learn from citizen participants.
- Help participants better understand the benefits and processes of City master planning, grant administration, and other municipal functions.
Academy participants will interact with employees in various City departments, including Parks and Recreation, Streets, Electric, Water and Wastewater, and Police.
Sessions will run for eight weeks on Wednesdays from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., beginning on September 21.
The Academy’s curriculum is being revamped, and staff coordinators are exploring engaging exercises and topics for participants.
Potential session topics include:
- City customer service responsibilities
- City finances and budgeting
- Parks and recreation activities
- Building security measures
- Crime scene investigations
- Firearms handling
- Utility buck truck and trencher operations
- City Council proceedings
- Municipal legal dealings.
Anyone interested in participating in this “unique activity-based learning opportunity” can submit a nomination application to the city.
Academy coordinators screen applicants to ensure consistent attendance by a cross-section of the community. The City of Cody seeks participants from all walks of life—retirees, laborers, business owners, and administrative professionals.
Furthermore, the Citizen Academy is free for all participants.
Applications are available online. Also, applications can be requested by contacting Parks, Recreation, and Public Facilities Director Rick Manchester by calling (307) 527-3484 or by emailing email@example.com.