Do you Have any Weird Phobias?
Written by Mac Morey on April 8, 2021
So I didn’t know this (that may be why I am writing this article), but phobias are one of the most common mental illnesses in the US according to verywellmind.
Women are more prone to having a phobia of some sort than men when looking at the percentages.
There are three different types of phobias: Specific, social, and agoraphobia.
Specific would something very pointed like cows whereas social could be anything regarding people and being judged. Agoraphobia has to do with places or situations that will cause severe anxiety or panic attacks.
There are four main categories that most of them fall under.
- Fears of the natural environment
- Fears related to animals
- Fear related to medical treatments or issues
- Fears related to specific situations
Anyone can have a phobia over anything, making it impossible to name every phobia, but we can look at some of the most interesting ones there are.
- Arachibutyrophobia – Fear of peanut butter
- Atychiphobia – Fear of failure
- Barophobia – Fear of gravity
- Bibliophobia – Fear of books
- Catoptrophobia – Fear of mirrors
- Heliophobia – Fear of the sun
- Iatrophobia – Fear of doctors
- Megalophobia – Fear of large things
- Octophobia – Fear of the figure 8
- Philematophobia – Fear of Kissing
- Somniphobia – Fear of sleep
- Scoptophobia – Fear of being stared at
- Trypophobia – Fear of Holes
- Venustraphobia – Fear of beautiful women
- Wiccaphobia – Fear of witches and witchcraft
I do not envy anyone that would have to deal with the real fear of some of these things. Like fear of sleep? First of all, I adore sleep. Secondly, functioning without sleep isn’t possible so do you just have to face your fears every night? Or you just pass out from pure exhaustion? That is the worst.
One I can relate to here is venustraphobia, the fear of beautiful women. I don’t have the phobia but that would give me a better excuse than “I don’t know what to say” or “Eh maybe next time.” All of us guys have been there.
If after reading this you feel as if you may have a phobia or a fear you want help dealing with, click here.