Fireworks Spark Blaze
Written by Andrew-Rossi on July 6, 2018
Two fires were brought under control following the fireworks show in Cody Wednesday night.
Jerry Parker, Administrator for Park County Fire District 2, says two fires that were caused by hot ashes falling into sagebrush and grass combined to form one five-acre fire on Bureau of Reclamation land. He said the Cody Volunteer Fire Department was able to contain the fire from the east and west ends, and Bureau of Land Management crews went back yesterday morning, declaring the fire out at 10:22 a.m. Thursday.
Parker points out that the potential for fires such as this is why Fire Marshal Sam Wilde objected to the location that was requested by the coordinator of this year’s fireworks show. Chris Good had planned his display to be shot from a hillside within the City Limits, but four out of the seven members of the Cody City Council voted against allowing him to use that location. Parker says that had the fireworks been shot from the location requested by the organizers, personal property could have been at risk.
23 fire department volunteers manning 5 fire engines monitored the fireworks show, according to Parker, and were on hand to contain the blaze.