Gas Explosion Results in Minor Injuries | Big Horn Basin Media

Gas Explosion Results in Minor Injuries

Written by on February 18, 2019

Three people sustained only minor injuries after a gas leak ignited in a mobile home in Greybull last weekend.

According to Greybull police chief Bill Brenner, the three women were housesitting for the owner of the single wide trailer at 1325 North 7th Street. On Saturday, February 9th, they attempted to light a pilot light on the water heater. However, they didn’t realize that a natural gas valve meant to feed a disconnected gas dryer had been turned on, leaking gas into the residence.

Bill Scott, Greybull Fire Chief, said that the women did smell the gas before lighting the pilot light, but that didn’t stop them from lighting the flame. He said that gas smell should always be considered a warning.

Scott said that the explosion expanded the walls in the section of the trailer where the gas leak occurred, which rendered the trailer a total loss.

One person was taken to the hospital for minor burns on her hands and face.

[There are no radio stations in the database]