WYDOT To Close Beartooth Highway at 5 p.m. Saturday
Written by Andrew-Rossi on October 7, 2020
WYDOT plans to close part of the Beartooth Highway Saturday due to snow predicted in the forecast.
US 212 will close from the Long Lake barricade to the Montana/Wyoming line at 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 10. Snow and wind are predicted during this time.
For the time this 24 mile stretch of highway is closed, the road will be impassable.
The National Weather Service in Riverton predicts that Saturday will be mostly sunny and breezy with a high near 52. Scattered snow showers will begin after midnight and continue throughout Sunday. There’s a 40% to 60% chance of precipitation and temperatures will be in the high 20s to low 30s.
Monday, Oct. 12 – Columbus Day – will be mostly sunny and breezy, with a chance of scattered snow showers.
WYDOT did not give a specific duration for the closure. They recommend everyone plan accordingly if they anticipate traveling over the Beartooth Pass.
Here’s the complete weekend weather report for the Beartooth Pass:
- Mostly sunny, with a high near 52. Breezy, with a southwest wind 17 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph.
- Scattered snow showers, mainly after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Breezy. The chance of precipitation is 50%.
- Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Breezy. The chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Scattered snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. Breezy. The chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Scattered snow showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 29. Breezy.
- Isolated snow showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 21. Breezy.
- Mostly sunny, with a high near 34. Breezy.