Demand for Wyoming Elk Increases | Big Horn Basin Media

Demand for Wyoming Elk Tags Increases

Written by on March 28, 2018

The state of Wyoming saw another increase in non-resident applications for the 2018 elk hunting season.
According to the Game and Fish Department, non-residents submitted over 23,000 full-price elk applications for the 7,250 total licenses allocated by Wyoming state law. That’s a 10 percent increase from 2016.
Scott Talbott, Wyoming Game and Fish director, said that the hunting opportunities in Wyoming are some of the most valued in the world, adding that the increase in applications also shows how valuable a resource elk hunting is to Wyoming residents.
Each January, Wyoming opens a month-long application period for non-residents. The application period is short and the draw is earlier than most other Western states to help non-residents plan their hunts. Each year, wildlife managers provide a preliminary quota of elk licenses for the state; non-residents receive 16 percent with the remaining 84 percent reserved for residents.
This year, 4,493 general licenses were available, up just 50 from 2017.

[There are no radio stations in the database]