Powell Family Homeless After Fire | Big Horn Basin Media

Powell Family Homeless After House Fire

Written by on March 8, 2017

A Powell family is temporarily homeless after a fire damaged their home Saturday evening.

Cathy Morris, her boyfriend Charles Adams and their five children are staying at a local motel for a few days after a light fixture in a furnace closet sparked a fire in their rented house on North Day Street.

According to an article in the Powell Tribune, a neighbor noticed smoke coming from the roof just after 6 p.m. and called 911. The family’s pets survived, but fire damage was extensive in the upstairs bedrooms and water damage claimed much of the rest of the family’s belongings.

The fire itself wasn’t put out completely on Saturday night, however – the rental property manager went the next morning to take a look at the house and noticed more smoke coming out of the attic vent. This time when crews attended the scene, the fire was put out completely.

Morris works as a housekeeper at Super 8 Motel, which is providing two rooms for the family for a few days free of charge. She said that the family is looking for a new home, and the Wyoming Red Cross is meeting with them to provide assistance. A Gofundme account has also been set up to help the family with expenses.

[There are no radio stations in the database]